Coconut Chocolate Chip Pecan Bars (Paleo & Vegan)
Updated: Apr 19
These bars are deliciously gooey and will bring smiles to the faces of those around you! They are packed with fibre and come together to make an absolutely amazing snack/breakfast healthy treat!
I was inspired to make these when I was eating one of my favorite protein bars, and I just knew it had to be a dessert!
Yes, you can be flexible with what you put in these bars! The add-ins that I've put together make for a beautiful combination of tastes & textures, but feel free to add anything that your lovely heart desires!
I love using pure, whole ingredients. So let's break down some of the the wholesome bad boys in this recipe:
Flax Egg: An amazing vegan egg-substitute, we love a fibre-based queen! As simple as 1 tbsp ground flax & 3 tbsp water, combine and let sit for 5 minutes! However, you can sub a pasture-raised egg, if you're not concerned about vegan!
Banana: You already know these are going to be delicious if they have banana in it. I have not tried any substitutes for this recipe, because I just simply LOVE the flavor that banana adds, but I suppose applesauce may work. Let me know in the comments if you try it out!
Shredded Coconut: Make sure you choose one with no additives!!!
Pecans: Sub what you're heart desires, but pecans are amazing... it's a texture thing:)
Almond Meal: Unfortunately you can't sub anything for this flour, in this recipe, at this time.
yields: 16 bars
prep time: 15 minutes
bake time: 25 minutes
total time: 40 minutes
1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax, 3 tbsp water, mix & let sit for 5 minutes)
1 medium-large banana, mashed
1/4 cup almond butter
1/4 cup coconut sugar
2 tbsp maple syrup
3/4 cup blanched almond meal
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips (I use Enjoy Life or Hu Kitchen to be truly paleo)
1/4 cup pecans (roughly chopped)
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (F) and grease a 9x9 pan with coconut oil.
2. In a medium bowl prepare your flax egg, and wait 5 minutes. Once ready add in your mashed banana, almond butter, coconut sugar, and maple syrup and whisk until combined.
3. Next add in the almond meal, cinnamon, salt, and baking soda and stir.
4. With a spatula, fold in the shredded coconut, chocolate chips, and pecans.
5. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes
6. Take them out and let them cool for 15-20 minutes, enjoy!