Healthy Coconut Cake
This cake turned out better than I could’ve imagined! It is fluffy, coconuty, and the perfect bday treat!
This cake is adapted from my Paleo Vanilla Sheet Cake, which you can find a few recipes back on my blog! It is SO good!
yields: 8-12 slices (depending on how big you want them)
prep time: 25 minutes
cook time: 30 minutes
assemble times: 10 minutes
total time (including cooling): 1 hr 35 min
For the cake:
2/3 cup melted coconut oil (room temp)
6 eggs (room temp)
1/2 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 cup milk of choice
3 cups almond flour
1/3 cup coconut flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2/3 cup shredded coconut
For the frosting:
2 8 oz packages of cream cheese (room temp, vegan if desired)
1 stick of butter (room temp, vegan if desired)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 tsp almond extract
3.5 cups powdered sugar
2-4 tbsp of milk of choice depending on thickness
3/4-1 cup shredded coconut (for topping)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F and spray two 9 inch cake pans
2. For the cake: In a large bowl mix together the coconut oil, eggs, maple syrup, coconut sugar, vanilla, almond extract, and milk
3. Then add in the almond flour, coconut flour, salt, and baking soda. Mix in the shredded coconut.
4. Divide the batter evenly between the two pans and bake in the oven for 30-34 minutes or a fork comes out clean, let cool for 30 minutes
5. For the frosting: While the cakes are cooling whip together the cream cheese, butter, vanilla, and almond extract until smooth. Then whip in the powdered sugar until smooth and add 1 tbsp of milk at a time until at desired taste and thickness.
6. Assemble: Remove one cake and flip it upside down onto a cake pan and spread a little less than half the frosting on top. Add the next cake the same and frost the whole cake with the rest of the frosting. Sprinkle and lightly press the coconut on the sides and top of the cake, serve regularly or chilled with ice cream and enjoy!